Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

"New" speakers again!

No, I'm not selling my Oy speakers and building something else. It just feels like I have new speakers again.

I'll start the story from beginning, instead of starting in the middle, going towards the end and then finishing with the beginning as I did on diyaudio.com earlier today.

I have always had a feeling there's something wrong with the speakers. Very bass-shy and diffuse soundstage. And on the first days when I was turning the speakers against eachother with a ~2cm gap in between and connecting them out of phase I still had a decent output when playing 20Hz sine waves. Not loud, but it was enough to disturb people around the house. But I didn't care more about that. I was just thinking they were bass-shy because they needed more burn in time.

Back to present time. While cleaning my room last friday I found a bag with sealing gaskets. They were supposed to be around the driver and terminal cutouts. So today I had some spare time so I assembled a table to work on and I opened up speaker number one, the one with the damaged baffle. Everything was fine, all cables connected as they should be. But on speaker number two I found the problem. The upper woofer was wired out of phase. Apparently I was in such a hurry to get them up and running so I didn't have time to double check the polarity. So I added the sealing gaskets, mounted the drivers and double-checked the polarity and WOW what a difference!

In theory I should have twice as much bass now than before, and boy I do! I can feel it easily in my chest even at lower volumes. Before I had been playing them without any damping material in the ports, but now I put in all of it and I'm almost thinking of adding some more to further attenuate the bass.

Another thing is the soundstage which got improved a lot. Now it's possible to hear where the musicians are on the stage and it's just wider, deeper and larger in general.

And here's some pictures of the sealing gaskets






No comments:

Post a Comment